A vintage reproduction figurine of the Ratapoil statue by the famous French painter, sculptor and printmaker Honore Daumier (1808 - 1879). The small statuette has been cast from bronze with fine details and decorated with an aged patina. The back of the statuette is stamped "Reproduction Bronze". The statuette comes with its original stand and presentation box.
Between March 1850 and December 1851, Daumier published about thirty lithographs illustrating a character representing "the shady agent, the indefatigable representative of Napoleonic propaganda". In this way, Daumier, a devout Republican, attacked the hard-line propaganda put about by certain electoral agents working for Louis-Napoleon Bonaparte. The nickname Ratapoil (Skinned Rat) was featured in the Grand Dictionnaire Universel where it was defined as a familiar term for a supporter of militarism, and particularly of Napoleonic imperialism. Daumier probably modelled his statuette in March 1851. The volumes are exaggerated, unbalanced, fragile and powerful at the same time, endowing the work with a subversive violence commensurate with the political issue. Along with the exaggeratedly curved posture, the crumpled trousers and frock coat, as a final flourish, he adds a fiendish expression to the face. Although Ratapoil's features do not directly caricature those of the Prince-President, the Imperial whiskers remain an immediately recognizable symbol of the enemy. Incredibly modern, Ratapoil broke away from all the sculpture categories that existed in 1850 and was already moving towards Expressionism.
5.5" Tall x 2" Wide x 2" Deep
(14 cm x 5 cm x 5 cm).
The bronze caricatural statuette is in excellent vintage condition with a lovely deep patina.
For more French bronze collectibles: https://etsy.me/2OYyjJe
For more statuettes and figurines: https://etsy.me/2Mrg5OT
Item Ref: Bronze Honore Daumier Ratapoil Figurine, French Caricatural Reproduction Statuette
1-2 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 21 days of delivery
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
1. INFORMATION I COLLECT
To fulfil your order, you must provide me with certain information (which you authorised Etsy to provide to me), such as your name, email address, postal address and the details of the product that you’re ordering. You may also choose to provide me with additional personal information if you contact me directly.
2. WHY I NEED YOUR INFORMATION & HOW I USE IT
I rely on a number of legal bases to collect, use, and share your information, including:
- as needed to provide my services, such as when I use your information to fulfil your order, to settle disputes, or to provide customer support;
- when you have provided your affirmative consent, which you may revoke at any time, such as by signing up for my mailing list;
- if necessary to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law;
3. INFORMATION SHARING & DISCLOSURE
Information about my customers is important to my business. I share your personal information for very limited reasons and in limited circumstances, as follows:
- Service providers. I engage certain trusted third parties to perform functions and provide services to my shop, such as delivery companies. I will share your personal information with these third parties, but only to the extent necessary to perform these services.
- Business transfers. If I sell or merge my business, I may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
- Compliance with laws. I may collect, use, retain, and share your information if I have a good belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of my customers, or others.
- Transfers of Personal Information Outside the EU. I may store and process your information through third-party hosting services in the US and other jurisdictions. As a result, I may transfer your personal information to a jurisdiction with different data protection and government surveillance laws than your jurisdiction. If I am deemed to transfer information about you outside of the EU, I rely on Privacy Shield as the legal basis for the transfer, as Google Cloud is Privacy Shield certified.
4. YOUR RIGHTS
If you reside in certain territories, including the EU, you have a number of rights in relation to your personal information. While some of these rights apply generally, certain rights apply only in certain limited cases. I describe these rights below:
- Access. You may have the right to access and receive a copy of the personal information I hold about you by contacting me using the contact information below.
- Change, restrict, delete. You may also have rights to change, restrict my use of, or delete your personal information. Apart from exceptional circumstances (like where I am required to store data for legal reasons) I will generally delete your personal information upon request.
- Object. You can object to (i) my processing of some of your information based on my legitimate interests and (ii) receiving marketing messages from me after providing your express consent to receive them. In such cases, I will delete your personal information unless I have compelling and legitimate grounds to continue using that information or if it is needed for legal reasons.
- Complain. If you reside in the EU and wish to raise a concern about my use of your information (and without prejudice to any other rights you may have), you have the right to do so with your local data protection authority.
5. HOW TO CONTACT ME
For purposes of EU data protection law, I, Fabien INVERNIZZI, am the data controller of your personal information. If you have any questions or concerns, you may email me at: email@example.com
Please contact us for a wholesale price list on bulk orders.
All orders are shipped with tracking. Please note that if you would like to upgrade to faster shipping you can select this option during checkout.
Yes, we do. Please contact us to discuss your requirements.